Job Title: Lead Mechanic/ afternoon shift
Department: Maintenance Dept
Reports To: Equipment Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
The lead mechanic position is responsible to troubleshoot, repair and perform preventative maintenance on all types of vehicles/equipment and hand tools within the company’s fleet. Repairs shall be made in a safe, cost-effective and time-efficient manner. The lead mechanic must have practical knowledge of all types of machinery and tools. The lead mechanic must have solid judgment and a good understanding of the possible consequences of the work they perform. The lead mechanic may also be asked in conjunction with the supervisor to evaluate, prioritize and delegate work amongst the mechanics and part-time mechanic. The company recommends that all employees display an ongoing effort to familiarize themselves with the duties and responsibilities of those positions that have direct or indirect involvement with his or her own.
- Comply with established company safety and operating rules, procedures, and guidelines; and be responsible for reporting unsafe practices to your supervisor.
- Work along with area supervisor to prioritize and delegate workload for the mechanics and part-time mechanic.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment to protect oneself and others in accordance with all department guidelines and all applicable company safety rules.
- Must be able to operate all types of vehicles, equipment and tools.
- Must be able to perform minor and major repairs on all types of equipment, including but not limited to, all vehicles, trailers, power-operated equipment as well as hand tools.
- Will be responsible for maintaining accurate computer records of time and parts used on specific work order tasks
- Assist in developing transportation maintenance and repair procedures.
- Perform all other duties as apparent or assigned by supervisor.
- Supervision/Direction of Others
- Directs, instructs and works with the department staff and co-workers on vehicle/ equipment repairs and maintenance issues. Works with individual vehicle/equipment operators to understand and solve complaints and concerns in regards to proper vehicle/equipment maintenance and operation.
- Position Specifications
- Order required parts and consumables when stockroom clerks require assistance.
This position requires a High School diploma or its equivalent. This position also requires a minimum of a two-year degree in heavy truck mechanics at the vocational level. A minimum of five years of experience may be substituted for the vocational school requirement. Specific mechanic certifications may be required and/or desired.
- Must have thorough knowledge and experience with but not limited to: hydraulic systems, gas engines, diesel engines, electrical systems, drive trains and various hand tools.
- Must have basic typing and writing skills.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Must have the knowledge and ability to prioritize job tasks.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must pursue personal development opportunities and is committed to staying current within field of work.
- Must support teamwork by participating, cooperating, and communicating with co-workers.
- Must hold a current drivers license (C.D.L.) and health card.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with customers and co-workers by providing accurate, meaningful, courteous and timely responses to their questions or concerns.
- Regular and punctual attendance is an essential function of this position. Variations to the work schedule need to receive the supervisor’s approval.
- Must travel to any location to do work in varying weather conditions, and be able to work outside or inside.
- Must be available to work before or after regularly scheduled work hours.
- Must be agreeable to working other than regular hours on a fixed or rotating basis.
- The employee may also be required to handle and perform work safely and efficiently through stressful situations.
Interested applicants are welcome to send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line “Lead Mechanic – Afternoons.”